About Destination Sherbrooke
Destination Sherbrooke is the para-municipal organisation that contributes to the promotion of Sherbrooke through sustainably developing tourist attractions. A key actor in tourism development, manager of tourist sites and promotion agent for the city in different markets, the organisation stands out for its unique mission.
Mandate and Clientele
Firstly, to promote the importance of tourism a motor of economic development, Destination Sherbrooke serves markets that are regional, national and international in nature. The different groups of clients it serves includes citizens of Sherbrooke, who are proud ambassadors of their city, but also day travellers, tourists, clients attending conventions, trade fairs and shows, exhibitions, as well as those attending cultural and sporting events. As manager of the Sherbrooke Exhibition Centre, the Maison de l’Eau, the Tourist Information Office and the Place Nikitotek, the organization manages the activities of the sites previously identified by the City of Sherbrooke. Finally, Destination Sherbrooke is the organisation behind the creation of the Réseau de Parcs Nature Récréotouristiques, which adds to and diversifies Sherbrooke’s offer.
In fact, all of Destination Sherbrooke’s divisions are called on to develop intervention axes as well as an action plan associated with these orientations. Destination Sherbrooke is the result of a strategic alliance between three organisations – CHARMES, Tourisme Sherbrooke and Cité des Rivières, and was created in January 2011.
Sherbrooke Tourism by the Numbers*
- $260 M in economic spin-offs
- 5 200 direct and indirect jobs
- 3,2 M annual person-visits
- 1,4 M annual overnight stays
*preliminary 2017 data. Based on Statistics Canada data from 2014 analysed by Pragma Tourisme-conseil on travel in Canada. Study of visitors aged 18 and over who have travelled at least 40 km to come to Sherbrooke.
Our Sustainable Tourism Pledges
Destination Sherbrooke has signed the Sustainable Tourism 2030 Pledge, to demonstrate our commitment to improving the sustainability performance of our organization and our partners’ businesses, between now and 2030.
The UN World Tourism Organization defines sustainable tourism as “tourism that takes full account of its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, addressing the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.”
Each year, we commit to measuring and improving our sustainability performance in each of the following ways:
- Update Destination Sherbrooke's 2012 sustainable development policy document.
- Develop a comprehensive action plan with benchmark measures.
- Raise awareness with community stakeholders throughout the process.
- Establish actions that will allow Destination Sherbrooke and its partners to reach their 2030 sustainability goals.
- Make commitments that fit with the Global Sustainable Tourism Council's criteria for destinations. These actions will cover:
- Sustainable Management
- Socio-economic Sustainability
- Cultural Sustainability
- Environmental Sustainability
- Regularly and publicly communicate the results of our efforts.